2018 Matterhorn to Venice Team
This trip combines the scenic Swiss home of the Matterhorn, three exciting Italian cities with a seaside resort and ATP tournament in Croatia
FIRST LOCATION: BERN, SWITZERLAND, July 2nd to July 4th
- We warm up for our first tournament in Zermatt with practices and several friendly matches with a tennis club in the Swiss Capital city of Bern. The Gothic cathedral, 15 century town hall and clock Tower are among the major sights.
SECOND LOCATION: ZERMATT, SWITZERLAND, July 4 (evening) – July 8th
- The Matterhorn – symbol of Switzerland – awaits us in the most spectacular scenic location in Europe!
- The Boutique Tie-Break Cup will feature one junior singles and a consolation singles for first round losers in a four day tournament.
- We plan a day or two where players have the choice of summer skiing on the Matterhorn or for non-skiers, a hike with our coaching staff to see the scenic beauty of the Swiss Alps.
- We will spend a little time at the upscale shops in this Alpine resort. Zermatt is a car-free city—walking only!
- We house in centrally located ski lodge apartments, five minutes’ walk from the club, where we also practice. As time permits, we will try other Alpine activities.
SECOND LOCATION: ROME, ITALY, JULY 8th to JULY 12th
We fly to Rome, the “Eternal City,” where we will play friendly matches with two different tennis clubs, one in the shadow of the Vatican.
Our sightseeing includes visits to the Roman Forum, the Colosseum and the Vatican. We will see the Vatican Museum with Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel and the last Judgment. St .Peter’s Basilica contains Michelangelo’s Pieta. Still other landmarks are the Trevi Fountain and the Piazza Venezio.
THIRD LOCATION: FIRENZE (FLORENCE), ITALY, JULY 12th – July 15th
Florence is the home of the Renaissance where we will play friendly matches against two different clubs in and surrounding the city. The matches will be on red clay and the competition should be challenging.
We will visit Michelangelo’s Statue of David at the Academia, the Duomo Gothic Cathedral and the Baptistery doors, among other sites.
Our housing will be at a 3 or 4 star hotel conveniently located in the heart of the city.
Florence is a great shopping town, especially for designer clothing and leather goods. Busy street scenes and markets abound. This is one of our favorite cities in Europe.
FOURTH LOCATION: UMAG, ISTRIA REGION, CROATIA, July 15th – July 23rd
- Two hours south of Venice, the seaside resort town of Umag welcomes us to their 25 court tennis academy including indoor and night lit courts, where we will be based for this week. We will play two tournaments during this week, each with age group singles and doubles, and sanctioned by the Croatian Tennis Federation or located in Slovania, Croatia’s next door neighbor.
- A unique attraction during our week is the annual ATP 250 Croatian Open each evening. We will have tickets for several of the sessions, which feature many top hundred ATP competitors. This tournament has a small town atmosphere, where you can see matches virtually at courtside, meet the players and have evening tournament social activities.
- Between our tournament matches, we practice at the Umag Tennis Academy where players visit from Italy, Austria, Russia and other locations.
- We house a short walk from the Academy in upscale apartments or a hotel next to the beach.
- Local sightseeing attractions include tourist caves, a water slide park and Roman ruins, along with the grounds. The mild Mediterranean climate and crystal clear waters are ideal for daily swimming.
FINAL LOCATION: VENICE, ITALY, JULY 23rd – 25th
- This one day sightseeing stop starts with the Piazza San Marco and along with a gondola or water taxi ride, we will see St. Mark’s Basilica, the Doge’s Palace, the Campanile and more. This majestic city of narrow streets and waterways will provide a great way to finish our tennis odyssey.