2018 Grand Slam Team
THREE + DAYS IN LONDON: July 5th – July 8th *Wimbledon
- We arrive in London to see Wimbledon the first Friday – round of 64 or 32, spending the day at The All-England Club. Since this is the first week of The Championships, we can wander the grounds and see a number of top matches. Last summer, we even got some top players’ autographs at the practice courts!
- We will take a “London Walks” tour to the Westminster area of the city featuring an interesting and knowledgeable guide.
- We will also visit the Tower of London, Leicester and Piccadilly Squares and spend an optional evening at the London theatre.
- And of course we will have our first practice of the trip at a club near our hotel in order to prepare for our first tournament.
FIRST LOCATION: July 8th (aft.) – July 15th (afternoon) – Utrecht, Holland
- This junior tournament has under 17 singles, doubles and mixed doubles which were round robins. This past summer, assuring lots of matches for our players. Besides all the tennis, the tournament offers a number of social activities throughout the week.
- We housed in a 4 star hotel just 10 minutes away from the tennis club. Players had the option of staying with host tennis families, members of the tennis club, if they wished to do so.
- Players will have an opportunity to visit Amsterdam during the tournament week to see the Anne Frank House, either the Van Gogh or Riksmuseum and, if time permits, the walking street and canal boat ride in the “Venice of the North”
- The friendly Dutch always make us feel welcome! This tournament has a small town feeling to it and we get to spend plenty of time with both Dutch players and the tournament committee who are young themselves.
SECOND LOCATION July 15th (evening) – July 21st (afternoon) *Spain – Mahon, Menorca, Balearic Islands
- We then travel to the island of Menorca for a Balearic Island circuit tournament at Tennis Club Mahon. The tournament will offer two singles per player by age groups.
- Menorca is the second largest of the Balearic Islands, located in the Mediterranean, and is noted for its miles of fine coastal beaches and water sports. Water parks, boat rides and hikes are among its attractions. Mahon is the capital of the island and has a well-known archeological museum. A cuisine specialty of this island is lobster, and a Menorca local creation became known as mayonnaise.
FINAL LOCATION, July 21st (evening) – 24th: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- We conclude our tennis journey with two days in Barcelona, the former Olympic City, to see Gaudi’s Familia Sagrada, walk the Ramblas, visit the F.C. Barcelona Soccer Stadium, and see the harbor area, the old city with its historic Gothic cathedral and shops on the upscale Gran Via. We will house in the heart of the city at Plaza Catalunya.